Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Writing Assignment


            Spring semester senior year, I knew I wanted to attend North Carolina State University, but I didn’t have a clue what I wanted to do with my life.  When I applied, I chose the First Year College because I knew they would help me make my decision.  My parents were pushing me towards engineering, and I kind of drifted towards that path as I set up my classes for freshman year.  I thought that since I was going to a predominantly engineering based school that I would give it a shot. 
            My first semester here was fine but it wasn’t exceptional.  I had satisfactory grades in all of my class except for Chemistry.  Even with Chemistry holding me back, I still had the goal GPA that I set for myself for the start of college.  It wasn’t until recently that I, thought twice about my intended major, engineering.  I remember we were searching possible career choices in our First Year College class.  Something told me that engineering wasn’t right for me, that I should be doing something to help people on a one-to-one basis.  My biggest dream has always been to be a doctor at a hospital.  I kind of gave up on that dream when I received my acceptance letter to NC State.  I took that as a sign that I needed to be an engineer.  I had no idea what I wanted to do with a degree in engineering, and frankly, I wasn’t looking forward to spending of my life doing math related tasks.  This sudden realization turned me away from engineering and I am currently trying to work towards a degree in Human Biology, which will lead me to medical school and hopefully turn me into a successful doctor someday.
             I came to find the human biology major by hearing about it through people I met randomly.  I would be introduced to a friend of a friends and his/her major would just happen to be human biology.  So I asked questions and heard that this was a major for people just like me; people interested by the human body, planning on becoming doctors.  I was ecstatic to hear about this major and conducted more and more research.  It’s like my life has turned in the opposite direction.  I was dreading this semester because I knew it would require me to take classes that I didn’t want to take, but I’m excited for next semester because I know that every class is going to get me closer and closer to my dream.  I know that it is going to be difficult.  I’m going to have to take more chemistry than I had planned on with engineering, but I’m going to do everything in my power to make it through this rigorous curriculum.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment